Committees & Commissions
Citizens sit on various commissions and committees and act as trustees for the community. They review applications brought forward by municipal staff and make appropriate recommendations to Council. It is a matter of law that members not become involved in conflict of interest situations and members should actively avoid gaining, or appearing to gain, private advantage from matters about which they have privileged information, or about which they are asked to comment and advise.
Agendas, minutes, and livestreams of our Committees and Commissions can be viewed here
Current committees are:
- Advisory Planning Commission: Advises Council on development applications and heritage matters.
- Board of Variance: Reviews development variance applications and can grant minor variances when compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause a person undue hardship.
- Official Community Plan Advisory Committee: To provide input on a broad range of OCP topic areas and assist with targeted consultation to gather input.
- Community Economic Recovery Task Force: To establish a short-term economic resiliency program to support local businesses as a result of the pandemic by designing and implementing a strategy and action plan.
- Saanich Peninsula Accessibility Advisory Committee: is a joint tri-municipal committee established by the District of Central Saanich, the District of North Saanich, and the Town of Sidney. The purpose is to provide comment and recommendations to Saanich Peninsula local governments on policies, programs, services, built environments, infrastructure and outdoor spaces in order continue to improve the livability, inclusivity and accessibility for persons with disabilities, who live, work and play on the Saanich Peninsula.
Please see 'Documents' for committee terms of reference. If you have questions about a committee, feel free to contact us.
Our Connect with Council page has information on how to bring something forward to council or a committee.
Apply to be on a committee
When committee members' terms complete or a space is vacant, a public call for applications will be posted on our News page and advertised. Applicants are asked to complete the Application for Boards, Commissions and Committees form.