Ninety-seven percent of residents reported the overall quality of life in the District of Central Saanich was good or very good according to the recent Community Satisfaction Survey results.
Every four years, Central Saanich conducts a resident survey to give residents the chance to voice their opinions about the quality of life, which services are most important, and any areas that could use improvement. This information is used during Council’s strategic planning sessions, as well as by staff in service planning, budgeting, training design and operational improvements.
The District mailed invitations to every home in the District. Overall, the District received 475 responses which statistically represent the population as a whole. The results of the survey were then weighted to the exact proportions of Central Saanich’s population by age and gender; which is based on demographic information derived from the 2021 Canada Census.
- The overwhelming majority of respondents (97%) reported the overall quality of life in the District was good or very good.
- Factors that contributed to quality of life included:
- 96% were satisfied with access to parks and public spaces,
- 92% are satisfied with emergency preparedness and response as well as public safety and policing
- 85% of respondents were satisfied with the overall quality of services provided by the District.
- Key areas for the District to look at service improvement include pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure, road maintenance and snow clearing.
- Customer service also rated extremely well. Residents who have been in contact with District staff in the last 12 months were most satisfied with staff’s courteousness (95%) and staff’s knowledge (93%).
- 81% of respondents believe they received just the right amount of information from the District. Most respondents reported getting their information from the District’s website (91%) and through the newsletter sent with utility bills (80%).
The 2023 Community Satisfaction Survey as well as previous survey results are available at CentralSaanich.ca/Survey.
For the presentation to Council please see: Council Presentation